Thursday 12 June 2014

More Mandarin-Limes (Rangpur Limes)

Rangpur Limes seem to be one of those fruits that you don't really discover unless you know someone with a tree. In my case, that someone happens to be my grandfather, and as I couldn't bear to let the fruit go to waste, I have a sudden glut and a desire for more recipes. Because truthfully, a girl can never have enough amazing recipes.


Finding recipes that cater specifically for Rangpur Limes was a little trickier than I'd anticipated. Normally I don't bother: a lime/lemon/orange recipe caters for all citrus fruits, but as I was making Jam I wanted something a little more specific, and then decided I wanted something that catered specifically for the deceptive colour/flavour combination of the fruit. I found the easiest way to find these less-usual recipes was by bouncing from one blog to another using the links sprinkled liberally within.

What with me being a sweet tooth and appreciating the contents of the liquor cabinet, theses recipes sounded fun.


Candied Rangpur Lime Rounds and Syrup
courtesy of Martha Stewart

I found this recipe while perusing my new favourite recipe database Yummly.com (unfortunately the US version is better than the UK one and there is no AU version).



The syrup is that strange combination of sour, bitter and sweet and in a glass of soda water tastes like Tonic with a twist of lime and after-taste of the Rangpur lime. And truthfully, it probably contains about as much sugar as a bottle of tonic water does anyway.



Rangpur Lime Syrup
courtesy of WestoftheLoop

Not realising I'd end up with a tasty syrup from the candied rounds (this syrup contained none of the juice and got all of its flavour from the skins of the limes), I decided to made another syrup, this one to drink with soda and gin and incorporate into margaritas and mojitos.


1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup Rangpur lime juice (about 8 large limes)*
Zest from the juiced limes (oops forgot this one)

Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. (This is just a simple syrup). When the sugar is dissolved, remove the pan from the heat and allow the syrup to cool. Add the Rangpur lime juice and zest to the simple syrup and whisk together. Place syrup in a jar or bottle and refrigerate. Serve with sparkling water, sparkling wine or gin. Yum!
*I stole the juice for this recipe from the jamming fruit as the jam seemed to have more than enough flavour to go around. 



Rangpur Lime Gin
courtesy of WhatJuliaAte

I have yet to see it, but the internet tells me that Tanqueray makes a Rangpur Gin. As this doesn't seem to be available in local bottleshops, it's probably easier to make my own. Having discovered the amazing setting qualities of Rangpur Lime anything ( the fruit is packed full of pectin) I thought it might be wise to remove the pips, but having de-pipped so many for the jam and candied rounds, truthfully I couldn't be stuffed.  

8 Rangpur Limes, quartered
1 cup sugar
1 bottle Gin

Fill a seal-able jar with the limes and add the sugar. 
Pour the gin over the top to cover the fruit (plus some)
Store in a cool dark place and agitate the jar everyday for a month. I think I shall be storing it near my laptop to remind me to agitate it, and whet my appetite for when it is ready. 

I'm curious to see which tastes better at the end of the month, the lime infused gin, or the gin soaked limes. 


Rangpur Lime Jam
...because I had so many fruit I needed another batch. Besides, Granddad (owner of the tree) needs at least one jar and my first test batch didn't provide quite enough. 

In addition to the basic Jam, I also decided to make a small batch of a sweeter Cinnamon Lime Jam and a smaller batch of Ginger Lime Jam. 


Whole Rangpur Lime Cake

There will be a few of these coming out of the kitchen in the next day or two. 
Good thing I had a writing group to feed one to, and family for another. 


A gift of Rangpur Limes
My aunt (who made the marmalade that went so well with the pannacotta) who is this family's queen of preserves usually makes a batch or two of marmalade and so the remnants of the basket have departed in her direction. 


Pity the tree is still not denuded. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...